High Protein Diets! Are They Bad?

Today, from teens to ages most of us concentrating on diet for weight management and to avoid physical illness due to improper food intake. Emerging research hinted that high-protein diets are able to satisfy hunger better than both fats and carbohydrates. So it is recommended to take food rich in protein.

Benefits of High Protein Diet

In a study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, the participants had reported greater satisfaction, less hunger, and weight loss due to intake high protein diets. They were guided with diets containing fat reduced to 20% of the total calories, protein increased to 30%, and carbs up-to 50%. The participants ate approximately 441 calories less while following this high-protein diet.

Another study, reported in the Journal of Nutrition, reveals that blood fat levels can be improved when high-protein diet is consumed along with regular exercise. As per the researchers higher-protein diets will help people in controlling appetites. Though the exact reason for turning down the appetites is not known, the researchers think that it is due to the stimulation of hormones by high-protein diet.

There is a belief that high protein intake will affect bones. But research reveals that high protein diets along with considerable amount of calcium and vitamin D will not result in bone health deployment.

Recommendations for Protein intake

Protein is the major component of cells and is needed for growth, development, and immunity. The institute of health’s DRI recommends 10 to 35% of protein intake for healthy adults. But, RDA recommendation is 56 grams per day for men and 46 grams for women. Higher protein intake is not at all a problem unless the person is having kidney disease. To get weight loss, it is advised by experts to use 120 grams of protein a day. But be sure to increase the protein intake process slowly for a week. Consulting the doctor before dieting will be a better option.

Protein Sources

For a higher protein diet, it is recommended to choose food items which have low fat, low calories and high nutrient contents. The best choice will be ‘smart carbs’ foods such as fruits, vegetables, and whole grains which can be taken along with healthy fats like olives, fish, and avocado. High protein diets will help you to lead a healthy life.

Source: http://www.healthsuperstore.com/health/v-high-protein-diets.htm

Advertisements
This entry was posted in General and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s